Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Aging Soul

“I am many years older than I was a few days ago” Robert Dabney

The preceding quote is taken from a letter that Dabney wrote just days after his sons death. This is a lesson I have learned in 2008 with the loss of Jill and other struggles. We all understand that the body grows weary from age. Things do not work the same when we are 80 as they did when we were 20. The body becomes a burden. However, the thing that I have learned in 2008 is that the soul ages as well. With every sin committed, with every sad goodbye, with every sorrow we watch friends carry, and with every other strike of the rod of suffering our souls grow more weary and tired. This earth feels less and less like home as the soul ages. I contend that this abuse of the soul is a great grace from God. We live in a cursed world that is longing to be redeemed. This is a world that takes more than it gives. Our weary, broken, limping souls send us away from this world towards Christ. Though I am just 31 I feel that my soul has aged by decades this year. Honestly, I have never been one who truly longed for the immediate return of Christ. There has always been more that I longed to do and enjoy on this earth. 2008 will be to me the year that my tired soul finally broke and said “Amen, come (NOW) lord Jesus”.

No comments:

Post a Comment