Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Letter to Me (Not about the Brad Paisley Song)

I recently had dealings with someone who was absolutely incapable of accepting any wrong in themselves. It was a sad thing to see someone who had done so much wrong and hurt so many people absolutely convinced that they were as pure as the driven snow. As I looked into those empty eyes I could not help but see myself. I too have a blindness when I turn my eyes towards my own sin. The lesson I am learning is that the most important trait a person can have is an ability to honestly perceive ones own sin. I wrote a letter to myself this morning. Not just a letter to myself, but my darker self. It was addressed to the person that the bible calls my flesh. I wrote to myself of my sinful failings in every area of my life. It was difficult but it was good. As weird as it sounds it was a letter of acceptance to my sinful self, because the reality is that my sinful self is ME. Until I accept him as reality I cannot confront him. Now that I have accepted him I will introduce him to Christ and hopefully watch him shrink.

(In full disclosure the letter idea came from this 3 Minute Brennan Manning Clip I am not sure I can recommend all of Mannings work, but I think he is on to something with this quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment